- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs a variety of services in leading and guiding campers in outdoor programs and activities. Provides daily guidance in personal safety and camper participation. Interprets rules, policies and traditions of the camp to the camper. Counselors receive paid training and orientation, CPR and First Aid certifications. Performs other duties as assigned.
Must be available to work Monday - Friday through the months of May - August.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Lead and assist activities in archery, arts and crafts, canoeing, caving, rock climbing, kayaking, challenge course, climbing/rappel tower, mountain boarding, hiking, environmental education, disc golf, sports and/or backpacking
- Prepare, organize, repair and maintain equipment
- Monitor eating habits of participants well-being
- Help each participant meet the goals established by the camp for camper development
- Communicate with parents, caregivers, guardians and participants related to program issues
- Interpret rules, policies and traditions of camp to campers
NON ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists in preparing and serving meals
- EducationRequired: Completion of the tenth grade in High SchoolExperienceRequired: Some summer camp experiencePreferred: Previous Camp Roanoke experienceCertifications/ LicensesRequired: Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record.Upon employment will be provided training for certification in CPR and First AidAdditional RequirementsMust be 16 years of age or older. Must attend preseason training and orientation from late May till mid June and be able to work a flexible scheduleSupervisoryResponsibilitiesNone
- OTHER INFORMATION
- OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTHMEDIUMLift and/or exert force of 20-50 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. frequently, or up to 10 lbs. constantlyPHYSICAL DEMANDSC = Continuously5.5 to 8+ hours dailyF = Frequently2.5 to 5.5 hours dailyO = OccasionallyUp to 2.5 hours dailyR = RarelyLess than 1 hour per weekN = NeverNever occursCodePhysical DemandCodePhysical DemandCStandingFSittingCWalkingFLiftingCCarryingRPushing/PullingCReachingRHandlingOFine DexterityFKneelingCCrouchingRCrawlingCBendingOTwistingFClimbingOBalancingCVision (Correction Required: Yes)CHearingCTalkingOFoot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc.)ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORSD = DailyW = Several Times Per WeekM = Several Times Per MonthS = SeasonallyR - RarelyN = NeverCodeHealth and SafetyCodeEnvironmental FactorsRMechanical HazardsDDirt and DustWChemical HazardsSExtreme TemperaturesNElectrical HazardsRNoise and VibrationWFire HazardsRFumes and OdorsNExplosivesSWetness/HumidityDCommunicable DiseasesDDarkness or Poor LightingRPhysical Danger or AbuseOther (specify)PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONOutdoorsMACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDSPlayground equipment and camping equipment and suppliesPROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREDFirst aid equipment and safety equipment appropriate to activities
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.