Business Systems Analyst - Tax Revenue, Financial, HR/Payroll Systems (Open Until Filled)
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Want to join a high performing organization? Want to make a positive impact on the Roanoke community by contributing to a team that makes a difference? The County of Roanoke’s nationally recognized and award winning Department of Communications and Information Technology (CommIT) aligns the County’s information technology infrastructure and systems to the needs of the community. CommIT ensures that its services support Roanoke County by providing technology innovation and information to decision makers.
This position offers an opportunity to be a team player on the Application Services Team, supporting Finance, Human Resources and /or Payroll systems. Functional and systems experience is preferred, with a strong understanding of transformation methods and reporting.
The position involves using low-code automation tools to automate business processes in Infor Global HR and Dynamics 365. While Roanoke County will provide training on these tools, some basic programming or scripting experience is required. The candidate should be able to provide examples of completed programming projects and the benefits provided to customers. Examples may include but are not limited to custom reports or integrations working with sql databases or vendor-provided automation tools.
If you enjoy interacting with systems users, working to provide solutions, and performing data mining for the user community, this position might be a good fit for you.
General Statement Of Duties:
Performs complex technical and professional work involving the analysis, design, development and implementation of application systems to meet the needs of County business processes. Serves as technical lead and subject matter expert for all systems within a functional business team (Internal Services, Citizen Services, Public Safety, Enterprise, etc.). Oversees the day to day functioning of assigned systems. Serves as project and technical lead for systems directly assigned and performs analysis for new projects and for changes to existing systems. Directs the work of staff within the assigned functional business team. Serves as liaison between user departments and IT or vendors of software packages. Provides training to end-users on use of assigned systems.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Serves as technical lead and subject matter expert for all systems within a functional business team. Directs the work of staff assigned to the functional business team.
- Analyzes and documents assigned user business processes and/or applications, and evaluates various alternatives for designing or enhancing automated solutions to meet business needs, including new business rules, procedures or usage of data and information to meet departmental goals.
- Serves as project lead, coordinator or manager, over directly assigned systems and projects, depending upon the nature of the system and department.
- Plans and coordinates implementation of new systems, and the integration of changes into the processes of an existing system, using IT project planning and change management standards.
- Prepares project plans, schedules, task lists, including project milestones and review points. Reports project progress, issues and need for changes.
- Conducts analysis, design, specification documentation, programming and testing for system upgrades and enhancements for complex vendor or in- house systems.
- Prepares development specifications, program, unit and user acceptance testing criteria for all system changes and upgrades; oversees testing of all program changes. Evaluates work of assigned staff for accuracy and conformity with established development procedures.
- Prepares and updates business process modeling, system, operation and user- level documentation for assigned processes and applications.
- Provides facilitation and coordination for departmental and cross-departmental planning and procedure teams to include Information Technology and other departments as specified by assigned applications.
- Works with end-users in troubleshooting issues and finding resolutions.
- Keep abreast of modern methods, technology and software through workshops, seminars, trade journals and self-study.
- Assists other IT staff in solving systems and programming problems.
- Participates in IT planning activities for procurement, technical standards and process needs, and user department planning activities.
Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in design and development of computer information systems with three (3) or more years of relevant experience, or combination of training, education, and six (6) or more years of experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the work described.
Required: Systems analysis/design and development experience. Project/System team leader, vendor software implementation, and business process analysis experience. Software testing and user training and documentation experience.
Preferred: Experience with assigned business processes (ex. Real Estate Valuation, Tax Billing, Government Accounting, Human Resources, Public Safety, Web, Document/Content Management, etc.).
Required: Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of practices involved in system design, data conversion, integration, system planning and change control requirements for MS-SQL RDBMS, and Microsoft/Web-based application environments and security needs.
- Working knowledge of current techniques used in systems analysis and design; interface design; business process analysis
- Considerable knowledge of project management principles and practices
- Skilled in organizational and process analysis
- Ability to logically and systematically approach complex project problems and provide alternative solutions.
- Ability to prioritize and perform work effectively with minimum direction in a complex, diverse, high pressure environment with rapidly changing priorities
- Ability to lead a team of functional and technical professionals
- Ability to lead in a project management capacity
- Adept at conducting research to systematically analyze situations and issues, identify options, draw logical conclusions and sound inferences, determine and recommend practical courses of action using innovation, creativity, good judgment and strategic thinking when preparing vendor computer applications for implementation and provide required documentation
- Ability to relate to communication styles of team members and project team members who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines
- Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines
- Ability to learn, understand and apply new technologies
- Ability to work independently and in a self-motivated fashion
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing ideas, concepts, recommendations, technical and complex information clearly and concisely in a timely manner, at a level consistent with the audience
- Ability to analyze data sufficient to verify and identify problems such as inaccurate and incomplete data and suggest solutions
- Ability to work well with end-users and other employees in a team–based environment with minimal supervision
Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Need to utilize personal vehicle with mileage reimbursement.
Directs work of assigned staff within a functional business team.
- OTHER INFORMATION
- OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMANDSEDENTARYLift and/or exert force up to 10 lbs. occasionally or insignificant weights frequently; sitting most of the time.PHYSICAL DEMANDSC = Continuously5.5 to 8+ hours dailyF = Frequently2.5 to 5.5 hours dailyO = OccasionallyUp to 2.5 hours dailyR = RarelyLess than 1 hour per weekN = NeverNever occursCodePhysical DemandCodePhysical DemandFStandingFSittingOWalkingOLiftingOCarryingOPushing/PullingRReachingRHandlingCFine DexterityRKneelingRCrouchingRCrawlingRBendingRTwistingNClimbingRBalancingCVision (Correction Required: N/A )FHearingFTalkingOFoot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc.)ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORSD = DailyW = Several Times Per WeekM = Several Times Per MonthS = SeasonallyR - RarelyN = NeverCodeHealth and SafetyCodeEnvironmental FactorsNMechanical HazardsNDirt and DustNChemical HazardsNExtreme TemperaturesRElectrical HazardsRNoise and VibrationNFire HazardsNFumes and OdorsNExplosivesNWetness/HumidityNCommunicable DiseasesNDarkness or Poor LightingNPhysical Danger or AbuseOther (specify)PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONOffice EnvironmentMACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDSComputer Equipment, Office EquipmentPROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREDNone
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership