- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Operates school bus and other vehicles for the purpose of transporting participants to and from designated locations. Performs other duties as assigned
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Safely operates a school bus over long distances across interstate and state primary roads at sustained legally allowed speeds, in a manner that fosters a safe and conscientious image to the public
- Conducts safe and orderly loading and unloading of participants at specified stops
- Maintains order and discipline on the bus
- Attends pre-service, in-service, and other required meetings pertaining to the job
- Performs routine operator care to include: washing the bus; sweeping interior; checking equipment and reporting defects; and presenting bus for regularly scheduled maintenance
- Completes and submits daily mileage reports and bus conduct reports, as required
- Responsible for ensuring all accidents are immediately reported to supervisor and emergency personnel if necessary.
- Assists participants who use wheelchairs, as needed. Secures clients who use wheelchairs in the van, bus, using supplied tie-downs.
- EducationRequired: Graduation from high school or equivalent.ExperienceRequired: Experience driving a school bus with passengers.Certifications/ LicensesRequired: Possess a valid Commercial Driver’s License with endorsements for school bus driver. Must have and maintain a Red Cross First Aid and CPR certificate or obtain same after employment.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsMust be age eighteen (18) or older. Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Following a conditional offer of employment, must submit to a Tuberculosis test, physical exam, and a pre-employment drug screen. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Must supply references. Must successfully complete the Virginia Education Department training curriculum for school bus drivers. Must complete State and County requirements of twenty hours of classroom and twenty hours of behind the wheel instruction. Must possess an acceptable driving history verified by a current Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Driving Record.SupervisoryResponsibilitiesThis position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- General knowledge of vehicles approved for participant transport
- Ability to handle difficult situations and enforce regulations
- Considerable knowledge of local, state and federal traffic laws and regulations
- Thorough knowledge of the operation of medium and light automotive equipment
- General knowledge of road, street and recreation center locations within the County
- Ability to use two-way radio equipment
- Ability to develop and maintain a positive relationship with passengers. Ability to communicate and develop effective working relationships with customers, parents and staff
- OTHER INFORMATION
- OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMANDMEDIUMLift and/or exert force of 20-50 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. frequently, or up to 10 lbs. constantly.PHYSICAL DEMANDSC = Continuously5.5 to 8+ hours dailyF = Frequently2.5 to 5.5 hours dailyO = OccasionallyUp to 2.5 hours dailyR = RarelyLess than 1 hour per weekN = NeverNever occursCodePhysical DemandCodePhysical DemandOStandingFSittingOWalkingOLiftingRCarryingOPushing/PullingFReachingOHandlingFFine DexterityOKneelingOCrouchingRCrawlingFBendingFTwistingOClimbingOBalancingCVision (Correction Required)CHearingCTalkingCFoot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc.)Other (specify)ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORSD = DailyW = Several Times Per WeekM = Several Times Per MonthS = SeasonallyR - RarelyN = NeverCodeHealth and SafetyCodeEnvironmental FactorsDMechanical HazardsDDirt and DustDChemical HazardsSExtreme TemperaturesRElectrical HazardsDNoise and VibrationRFire HazardsDFumes and OdorsNExplosivesSWetness/HumidityDCommunicable DiseasesRDarkness or Poor LightingRPhysical Danger or AbuseOther (specify)PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONVehicle, Outdoors, Recreation CenterMACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDSBus; First aid equipment provided.PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREDNone
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.