- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs difficult professional and administrative work related to significant aspects of the financial and organizational operations of the County. Performs a variety of complex financial tasks. Operates as part of a team of Budget and Finance professionals that involves project management accountability and detailed research and analysis in a variety of financial areas; responsible for planning, organizing and facilitating project assignments from beginning to end with minimal supervision. Supervision over Budget Analyst. Reports to Budget Administrator. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- System Manager responsibilities for maintenance and operation of budgeting module of client-server based financial package that includes Personnel budgeting, data maintenance, and report writing.
- High visibility in team environment, Board of Supervisor meetings, and public forums.
- Conducts complex financial research and evaluation, including developing and refining models for monthly, quarterly, yearly, and long-range revenue and expenditure projections.
- Acts as liaison and provides front-line financial consulting services to department heads and/or appropriate departmental staff concerning personnel, operational, or capital requirements relating to budget.
- Reviews budget requests and communicates budget issues to senior management.
- Identifies non-routine budget transactions and recommends appropriate action.
- Assists the Budget Administrator with all aspects of the annual operating budget preparation cycle and Capital Improvement Program.
- Attends and participates in County departmental staff meetings to assist department and assistant department heads in developing, presenting, and amending their budgets.
- Assists with establishing administrative budgetary standards, policies and procedures.
- Prepares numerous presentations and documents for both internal and external use that conveys complex financial and budgetary information in a useful manner
- Utilizes sophisticated software in developing analyses and presentations from Finance and Management Services to the County Administrator and the Board of Supervisors.
Required: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business, finance or a related field.
Preferred: Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in a related field.
Required: At least three (3) years of financial management experience with an organization of comparable size.
Preferred: Direct budgeting experience at the local government level.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of personnel, operating, and capital budgeting concepts as well as principles and practices of governmental accounting and financial application
• Expert level skill in the utilization of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
• Must be able to prioritize and manage multiple projects with tight deadlines.
• Working knowledge of management information systems practices.
• General knowledge of the legislative process.
• Ability to analyze and interpret financial data; communicate both orally and in writing at top management levels; formulate and substantiate financial projections concerning revenues, expenditures and general economic conditions (statistical modeling desired); and formulate project goals.
Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Occasional night and weekend hours will be required.
Supervision may be exercised over other staff members on a project basis.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership