Budget Division DirectorRoanoke County
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Roanoke County Department of Finance and Management Services is seeking to fill the position of Budget Division Director. Under general direction, the employee in this position coordinates the planning, development, and implementation of the annual operating budget and ten year capital improvement plan. This position performs complex administrative tasks under limited supervision. This position also supervises and oversees the activities of the Budget Division and other related work as required.
The qualified applicant will possess a thorough knowledge of governmental budgeting, skill in organizing and presenting highly technical information, the development of projects, budgetary philosophies and policies; comprehensive knowledge of state laws and local ordinances applicable to budget; ability to visualize future issues in budget management and recommend creative solutions; ability to perform complex operational analysis, cost benefit analysis and determinations of service efficiency/effectiveness; plan and direct activities of staff; communicate complex ideas effectively orally and in writing; Must be able to work independently and establish and maintain successful working relationships with department directors and County staff.
Subject to complete criminal history and credit report search.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Directs and manages all operations of the budget division; directs and participates in the formulation and implementation of the division's policies and procedures.
- Plans, directs, and supervises the budget division employees.
- Manages the County's budget process including the development of forms, establishment of the budget calendar, management of budget meetings, and of initial funding recommendations to Administration to balance budget.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of the capital improvement plan.
- Produces the budget document, including the ten year capital improvement plan.
- Works closely with departments to develop and manage expenditure projections
- Coordinates the monitoring of revenues to determine the accuracy of revenue projections.
- Conducts public presentations, leads meetings and provides briefings as needed
- Reviews and recommends requests for changes in departmental appropriations; works with larger departments as needed on operational and capital budgets.
- Researches trends, demographics, and economic indicators
- Prepares presentations related to budget and economic trends
- Works collaboratively with key financial management staff, Department Directors and external agencies
- Manages special projects as assigned.
Required: A four-year Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field or any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
Preferred: Master's degree in Public or Business Administration or a similar program
Required: Five (5) or more years of progressively responsible experience in governmental financial management, the formulation and development of public budgets or any equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to accomplish position requirements.
Preferred: None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of governmental budgeting.
- Comprehensive knowledge of state laws and local ordinances applicable to budget preparation.
- Skill in organizing and presenting highly technical information, development projects, budgetary philosophies and policies.
- Ability to perform complex operational analysis, cost benefit analysis and determinations of service efficiency/effectiveness.
- Ability to visualize future issues in budget management and recommend creative solutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain successful working relationships with department heads and County staff.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively both orally and in writing
Subject to a complete criminal and credit history background search with acceptable results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
Supervises professional, technical and support staff.
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Eleven paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership