Athletic Event Site SupervisorRoanoke County
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Opens, supervises and closes athletic facilities for practices, games, and tournaments and assists with providing a safe and healthy atmosphere for players, spectators, parents, officials and volunteers that are present by ensuring Departmental policies and procedures are followed. Reports to the Athletics Recreation Supervisor. Does related work as required.
Monday - 5:45pm - 9:45pm
Tuesday - 5:45pm - 9:45pm
Wednesday - 5:45pm - 9:45pm
Thursday - 5:45pm - 9:45pm
Saturday - 8:30am - 6:30pm
Sunday - 1:30pm - 7:30pm
Current available positions include various schools located in South County, North County and East County.
Preference given to candidates who can cover multiple days.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains a safe environment for participants and spectators
- Communicates and works closely with other co-workers, volunteers, officials, and members of the public.
- Uses tact and courtesy when communicating with the public. Serves as the Recreation Department's ambassador to participants and spectators.
- Assists game officials in maintaining a positive and supportive environment that encourages growth, development, and good sportsmanship.
- Provides accurate and detailed written documentation of incidents involving conduct by spectators, coaches or participants.
- Arrives at the facility at least thirty minutes prior to the start of the scheduled game and is the last to secure the facility and make sure everyone leaves safely.
- Completes accident reports on all accidents that occur at the assigned facility and delivers them to the Recreation Program Manager or his/her designee.
- Controls lighted facilities by turning on and off lights as needed.
- Polices the area to ensure general cleanliness.
- Remains highly visible throughout the event by walking the grounds and interacting with the spectators, participants and volunteers.
- Maintains an appearance reflective of the Recreation Department's professionalism.
- Communicates a consistent message emphasizing the value of good sportsmanship and safe participation.
- Reacts to severe and changing weather conditions and cancels play when warranted.
- Opens facility including unlocking doors, turning on utilities, setting up scoring station, pulling out bleachers, setting out chairs and other similar tasks.
- Closes facility including locking doors, turning off utilities, putting away scoring station, closing bleachers, putting up chairs and other similar tasks.
- Supervises activities to ensure departmental policies and procedures are followed.
Preferred: Graduation from High School
Preferred: Some experience supervising athletic facilities and events
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Basic knowledge of the appropriate sport(s) involved.
- Ability to work well with others, manage and address conflicts and maintain a positive environment for participants and spectators.
- Outstanding conflict resolution skills are critical.
- Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Outstanding customer service skills are mandatory.
Must be a minimum of 21 years old, pass a criminal background history check, and able to work various weekday evenings from 6:00-10:00pm, Saturdays 8:00am-10:00pm, and Sundays 1:00-10:00pm, with schedule negotiated with Athletics Staff.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.
01Were you referred by a Roanoke County employee? If so, please provide their name below. If not, list "N/A."