Assistant Director of FinanceRoanoke County
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Roanoke County Department of Finance and Management Services is seeking to fill the position of Assistant Director. Under general direction, the employee in this position performs complex professional and difficult administrative work related to the financial operations of the County. This position assists the Director of Finance and management Services in the administration of the specified financial activities of the County. This position also performs related work as required and may serve as director during his/her absence. The qualified applicant will possess a thorough knowledge of the theory, principles, and practices involved in governmental accounting; strong knowledge base of systems applications: ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on complex topics to management, public groups, and the Board; ability to plan and direct the activities in a team environment; ability to prepare complex financial statements and reports; ability to plan, manage, and implement special projects; communicate complex ideas effectively orally and in writing; Must be able to work independently and establish and maintain positive working relationships with both within and outside the agency.
Subject to complete criminal history and credit report search.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervises division managers and assigned staff.
- Oversees the technical financial operations of the department.
- Works within broad policy and organizational guidelines; independently plans and implements projects; reports progress through meetings.
- Prepares various complex financial statements and reports.
- Coordinates annual audit of County financial operations
- Coordinates annual audits of fiscal agents
- Prepares presentations regarding financial documents, procedures, budgets, and economic trends.
- Reconciles all County and School debt funds, prepare the debt budget, coordinate payments with the Treasurer's office, and prepare all necessary monthly and year end entries and schedules.
- Develops departmental policy and procedure manual.
- Interprets federal and state laws, local ordinances and procedures to insure compliance of financial activities.
- Coordinates financial management issues and resolutions with County departments.
- Coordinates with the Department of Communications and Information Technology regarding the design and maintenance of the financial reporting system and payroll system
- Assists the Director of Finance in developing and maintaining financial policies.
- Represents the department in management meetings.
Required: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in accounting, business, finance, or related field is required and seven or more years of progressively responsible experience at a managerial level in a complex environment.
Required: Seven or more years of progressively responsible experience at a managerial level in a complex environment.
Required: Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO), or Master's Degree in related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the theory, principles and practices involved in governmental accounting
- Strong knowledge base of system applications
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on complex topics to management, public groups, and the Board.
- Ability to plan and direct the activities in a team environment
- Ability to prepare complex financial statements and reports
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships both within and outside the agency
- Ability to plan, manage, and implement special projects
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively both orally and in writing
Subject to a complete criminal history and credit background search with acceptable results. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination.
Supervises several departmental divisions of professional, technical and support staff.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Eleven paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership