Assistant Director of Economic Development
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs complex, technical and professional work requiring the planning, organizing, and directing of operations and major functional areas to support the Economic Development Department goals and objectives. Develops and provides innovative and technical program recommendations. Researches and prepares reports, presentations and comprehensive program recommendations. The Assistant Director works directly with the Director to assist in the development, administration and implementation of the economic development strategic plan and oversees key elements of the plan. Establishes and maintains contacts with local, regional, and state economic development offices, utility companies, railroads, commercial and industrial realtors, colleges, universities and private business firms. Performs other duties as required.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Serves as an ombudsman between the development community and County departments, as well as an inter-departmental liaison on development related issues
- Participates in preparation and management of the budget
- Collaborates with Director in evaluating, planning, and providing recommendations on department goals and objectives
- Represents the Department on regional committees and at special events
- Initiates, develops and coordinates specialized marketing campaigns and programs
- Prepares technical reports and delivers presentations to business prospects, the Board of Supervisors, Planning Commission, civic groups and the commercial real estate community among others
- Develops, coordinates and implements programs to encourage and assist businesses to locate and expand in the County
- Responds to prospect inquiries, visits and proposals, and facilitates real estate transactions with public and private property owners
- Provides technical assistance to businesses to encourage growth and expansion
- Participates in the development of feasibility studies, contracts, marketing and public information related to special projects
- Researches, recommends and oversees economic development grant opportunities
- Participates in the identification and maintenance of the County’s real estate inventory to determine public facility requirements, access and zoning; Recommend improvements which will enhance site marketability
- Manages the Department’s Existing Business Program and conducts retention visits to existing businesses to identify and mitigate concerns and to facilitate expansions
- Researches and maintains an awareness of national and regional economic trends and innovative practices to help guide the economic development work program
- Develops programs and partnerships to attract and retain talent
- Develops programs and partnerships to attract and grow entrepreneurs
Education Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in urban planning, management, economics, marketing, business administration, real estate or related field; or commensurate education and experience.
Preferred: Completion of the Basic Economic Development course sponsored by the American Economic Development Council.
Experience Required: Considerable experience in Economic Development, planning, real estate, business or public administration.
Preferred: Business development experience providing technical assistance to growing companies. Some supervisory experience.
Required: Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in economic development to include business attraction and retention, marketing, branding and incentives.
- Understanding of economic development, state and regional programs and resources, real estate transaction elements and business development techniques.
- Comprehensive understanding of Community Development practices including land use, zoning and planning.
- Reasoning ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve problems, interpret an extensive variety of technical information and incorporate several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to identify key stakeholders and create teams to solve complex issues. Demonstrated ability to think strategically and leverage resources to produce outcomes.
- Knowledge of County and State tax structures as they apply to commercial and industrial activity
- General knowledge of the businesses and community resources available in Roanoke County, as well as those resources offered by State and Federal offices and regional development organizations
- Knowledge of economic development techniques; state and regional programs; real estate transactions and marketing strategies.
- Proficient in the use of computers including the Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge and understanding of real estate principles and practices to include selecting, assembling and marketing property for commercial or industrial prospects
- General knowledge of how to match needs and specifications prescribed by businesses who are seeking to locate or expand in Roanoke County.
Additional Requirements Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
Subordinate staff as assigned regularly or on a project basis
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership