Animal Support Attendant (Open Until Filled)
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs routine service work and clerical support in the care, intake and maintenance of stray and owner surrendered animals at the Regional Center for Animal Control and Protection (RCACP). Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides humane treatment of all animals at all times.
- Cleans kennels and general areas of the Center utilizing established Kennel protocols for hygienic cleaning and disinfecting to prevent the spread of disease.
- Processes intake of strays and owner relinquished animals into ShelterNet data base.
- Collects fees related to redeemed animals and adoptions.
- Provides phone support to promptly answer incoming calls related to animals in the shelter or to provide guidance for lost/found animals, which includes checking voicemail for the front desk often throughout the work day as well. Provides information that conforms with the RCACP procedures regarding specific information on animals in the shelter.
- Coordinates appointments for relinquishments, redemptions, and adoptions and accepts donations from the public during regular office hours.
- Provides an accurate and clear picture of all animals in the building to assist in quickly identifying animals with their owners. Ensures that the picture of the animal is uploaded to the ShelterNet software system with an accurate description of when and where the animal was found to assist in finding the owner through our website and other social media.
- Follows assigned work schedule.
- Feeds and cares for animals with appropriate food and water that is required of the species.
- Receives and completes all VDACS required paperwork for the animals and places them in the appropriate caging unit with the correct paperwork.
- Ensures that all animals are kept as clean, dry and comfortable as possible.
- Follows veterinarian approved procedures and provides vaccinations as required.
- Assists in the preparation of animals for adoption, rescue transports, and support, as needed, to the Rescue Coordinator and Foster Coordinator. This assistance includes, but is not limited to, providing administrative support at large adoption events, collecting items needed for specific animal for their adoption including any medication, collecting items needed for successful fostering for each animal, and helping with all the paperwork necessary for ownership changes, adoption contracts, and foster contracts.
- Regularly checks the animals for signs of illness or injury and promptly reports those findings to a supervisor.
- Once properly trained, administers vaccines, medications and implants microchips.
- Participates in the euthanasia of animals as needed and works closely with other attendants on this task. Coordinates with the Kennel Supervisor the completion of the euthanasia list, properly documents the euthanasia drugs that are used, and follows all Commonwealth of Virginia regulations for this activity.
- Humanely euthanizes and disposes of animals using proper methods and equipment when assigned.
- Reports operational problems and/or animal behavior issues to the Kennel Supervisor or other appropriate supervisors in a timely manner.
- Maintains effective working relationships with fellow co-workers, animal control personnel, animal welfare organizations, volunteers.
NON ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Helps in the unloading and the proper stocking of all materials delivered to RCACP.
- Participates in the loading and unloading of animals for spay/neuter by veterinary partners.
- Provides direction to volunteers.
- EducationRequired: High School Diploma or EquivalentExperienceRequired: Some service related experience.
Preferred: Experience working with animals and customer serviceCertifications/ LicensesRequired: Must be able to obtain certification to perform euthanasia of animals.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities• Computer skills to include ability to key forms, navigate through software, receive and send email and search internet sources.
• Ability to comprehend and follow instructions.
• Ability to schedule and organize work interpedently.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision.
• Ability to keep accurate records and follow set procedures.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
• Ability to document work with simple recordkeeping.
• Skill in the use of animal care tools, supplies and equipment.Additional RequirementsSubject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Good physical condition. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Must maintain a neat professional appearance consistent with company policy. Must be inoculated for rabies and tetanus.Supervisory ResponsibilitiesProvides minimal direction to volunteers.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership