After-School Activity Leader
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs responsible recreational and clerical work in accordance with the program standards for children and/or youth at an assigned location. Responsible for organizing, planning and engaging in organized recreational activities with children ages five (5) through twelve (12) and/or youth ages eleven (11) through thirteen (13). Organizes and schedules activities to include appropriate games, music, arts and crafts. Collects fees. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Plans, organizes and conducts or participates in games, music, arts, crafts, playground and other appropriate activities.
- Collects fees.
- Supervises all activities to ensure the protection and safety of all participants.
- Provides a positive and authoritative approach to guiding behavior using age-appropriate limits and choices
- Encourages children to take responsibility for their role in the classroom community
- Teaches good eating habits and personal hygiene
- Ensures children have proper rest periods
- Ensures each child has individualized support in each activity
- EducationRequired: High school diploma or equivalent supplemented with college level courses or six month’s programmatic experience with children ages five (5) through twelve (12) and/or eleven (11) through thirteen (13).ExperiencePreferred: Some experience working with children in a structured environment.Certifications/ LicensesRequired: Must have current Red Cross First Aid and CPR certificates or obtain same after employment. Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsIn accordance with State licensing requirements, must be eighteen (18) years of age or older. Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Following a conditional offer of employment, must submit to a Tuberculosis test. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.SupervisoryResponsibilitiesThis position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- General knowledge of recreational activities suitable for children ages five (5) through twelve (12) in a child care setting and/or youth ages eleven (11) through thirteen (13).
- Ability to deal effectively with participants, encouraging participation in the various activities; and develop and maintain effective relationships with other employees, activity participants and the general public.
- OTHER INFORMATION
- OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTHMEDIUMLift and/or exert force of 20-50 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. frequently, or up to 10 lbs. constantly.PHYSICAL DEMANDSC = Continuously5.5 to 8+ hours dailyF = Frequently2.5 to 5.5 hours dailyO = OccasionallyUp to 2.5 hours dailyR = RarelyLess than 1 hour per weekN = NeverNever occursCodePhysical DemandCodePhysical DemandFStandingRSittingFWalkingFLiftingRCarryingOPushing/PullingOReachingOHandlingFFine DexterityOKneelingOCrouchingRCrawlingFBendingFTwistingOClimbingFBalancingCVision (Correction Required: N/A )CHearingCTalkingRFoot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc.)Other (specify)ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORSD = DailyW = Several Times Per WeekM = Several Times Per MonthS = SeasonallyR - RarelyN = NeverCodeHealth and SafetyCodeEnvironmental FactorsRMechanical HazardsDDirt and DustRChemical HazardsSExtreme TemperaturesRElectrical HazardsDNoise and VibrationRFire HazardsRFumes and OdorsNExplosivesSWetness/HumidityDCommunicable DiseasesRDarkness or Poor LightingRPhysical Danger or AbuseOther (specify)PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONOutdoorsSchool SitesMACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDSOffice equipment, playground equipmentPROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREDFirst aid equipment provided
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.