Adventure Trip Leader
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs a variety of services in leading and guiding participants in outdoor recreation programs and activities. Provides supervision and guidance in safety, participant well-being. Interprets program rules, policies, ethics and traditions to the participants. Completes administrative and program documentation, standard reports, equipment inspection and maintenance. Provides participant transportation when needed. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Plans, directs, instructs, and supervises adventure activities that include: kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, challenge course facilitation, climbing/rappel tower, mountain boarding, backpacking, outdoor living skills, camping, hiking, and/or environmental education
- Prepares, organizes, repairs and maintains program equipment
- Actively monitors participants well-being and ensures program goals are being met
- Provides every participant with the opportunity to: learn and engage in adventure recreation skills; develop teamwork; improve self-esteem, learn leadership skills and promote personal growth
- Interprets rules, policies, ethics, and traditions of Roanoke County Outdoor Services
Required: Education equivalent to graduation from high school supplemented by experience in recreation, psychology, education or a related field.
Preferred: Associates Degree in Recreation or related field.
Required: Considerable experience in outdoor programming and working with youth and adults. Experience may be substituted for equivalent education.
Required: Must possess a valid Virginia driver's license and have a good driving record. First Aid/CPR/AED, or ability to obtain.
Preferred: Lifeguarding; Swift Water Rescue; American Canoe/Kayak Instructor; Wilderness First Responder; Wilderness First Aid; Challenge Course/Facilitation; Leave No Trace
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of outdoor programming, risk management standards, equipment and gear maintenance.
- Ability to complete objective documentation
- Ability to develop appropriate goals and objectives for participants and programs
- Ability to work in a demanding work environment requiring teamwork
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to follow operating procedures and maintain confidentiality
Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Satisfactory driving record according to County's Vehicle Operation policy and agree to allow submission of driving history. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.