Accounting Manager (Open Until Filled)
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Under general direction, performs work of considerable difficulty in planning, organizing, and management of: accounting, financial systems, and financial analysis. Responsible for reporting activities and services for the County and fiscal agent entities.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervises, trains and evaluates the work of professional, technical and other staff responsible for accounting, financial reporting, and analysis for the County using generally accepted processes and procedures including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Supervises the recording and maintenance of County financial data in accordance with standards, guidelines, and requirements of general and governmental accounting
- Provides highly responsible, complex analyzes, and manages the preparation and maintenance of financial information, reports, statements and schedules.
- Monitors and reviews changes to relevant federal and state laws and regulations; develops, recommends and implements changes to County policies and procedures to ensure compliance with accounting standards and financial reporting requirements, including statutes pertaining to public funds and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements
- Participates in analysis and testing of new and existing financial systems to increase efficiency, recommend system configuration changes, and ensure compliance with regulations, laws, and standard accounting principles
- Annual Audit - Coordinate staff to prepare schedules needed by auditors at year end, prepare all related assigned schedules for the auditors, and help in the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Provides counsel to departments on a variety of financial questions, performing research and analysis as required
- Perform fiscal agent functions for external organizations where the County serves as fiscal agent, handling required reporting and tracking activities
Required: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting or a related field
Required: Five (5) to seven (7) years' experience in finance administration, preferably in government
Preferred: Six (6) months of supervisory experience
Required: Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of accounting and auditing principles and practices including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Procedures (GAAP), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) and Government Accounting Standards (GASB)
- General knowledge of the principles underlying laws and administrative policies governing municipal financial practices and procedures
- General knowledge of management information systems practices
- Ability to revise accounting policies and procedures to meet changing needs
- Ability to interpret, apply and explain complex federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations and determine their impact on accounting functions
- Ability to plan and direct the activities of subordinates
- Ability to prepare complex financial statements and reports
- Ability to conduct special projects requiring knowledge of accounting systems
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, County officials, vendors and external auditors
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively orally and in writing
Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
Supervises and mentors professional accounting and/or small technical staff
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership