Assistant Director & Finance Manager
Mountain View Humane
Assistant Director & Finance Manager
SCHEDULE: Typically Monday-Friday, varies based on organizational needs – some evenings and weekends are required.
The Assistant Director & Finance Manager reports to the Executive Director and provides hands-on and participative management and leadership to support and oversee the following areas: finance, business activities of the front office, mobile unit and transport programs, business planning and budgeting, human resources, and administration. This role also coordinates with the Roanoke Valley SPCA Finance Director who provides financial overnight and leadership of its wholly owned subsidiary, Mountain View Humane. The goal of this position is to help attain objectives of productivity, financial solvency and human resources activities.
•Responsible for all bookkeeping functions.
•Prepare, analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements. Prepare and present financial reporting materials for grants and other projects as requested.
•In collaboration with the Roanoke Valley SPCA Finance Director, coordinate the annual audit process, work with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
•Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
•Effectively communicate and present monthly financial statements critical financial matters to the board of directors and Executive Director.
•Develop annual budget in conjunction with ED, monitor progress throughout the year.
•Resolve financial problems with public/volume clients, collect delinquent accounts, determine when special financial agreements are appropriate.
•Oversee that adequate surgery scheduling needs are met.
• In coordination with the Roanoke Valley SPCA Finance Director, further develop human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, hiring, training, recruiting and termination.
• Oversee completion and filing of worker's compensation reports.
• Oversee payroll processing and related documentation.
• Responsible for onboarding new employees and consistent termination processes.
• Responsible for processing termination stuff.
• Administer and oversee payroll processing and related documentation.
• Ensure compliance with all organizational policies, procedures, and guidelines.
• Report to Executive Director with any issues, problems, updates or questions.
• Support Mountain View Humane events and fundraising as needed.
• Promote the vision and mission of Mountain View Humane by serving as liaison between Mountain View Humane the business/finance community.
• Participate in strategic planning for Mountain View Humane and the Roanoke Valley SPCA.
• Supervise Office & Data Coordinator to ensure smooth day-to-day transactions.
• Preparing periodic staff evaluations.
• Establish internal operating procedures for administration of practice to ensure accuracy and completeness of veterinary records and reports, format and compliance with the accepted clinic practices.
• Supervise usage of practice software to ensure that client records are entered consistently and correctly.
• Ensure compliance with regulatory agencies and laws, including but not limited to OSHA, EEOC, ADA and the Department of Labor. Develop and maintain procedures necessary to meet regulatory requirements.
• Establish an inventory control system to assure adequate stocks of supplies and merchandise are available; plan for periodic audits; negotiate prices.
• Conduct research and provide recommendations to management team for updates in software that can be time or cost-savings; initiate new programs.
• Become an expert in veterinary database software, enabling organization to utilize all functions relevant to the operations of Mountain View Humane. Keep abreast of updates and new functions, sharing information with senior leadership.
• In collaboration with Executive Director and RVSPCA Marketing & Communications Director, share marketing needs.
• Demonstrate excellent leadership qualities, including the ability to motivate staff, communicate objectives, and maintain core values and standards.
• Take an active role in all staff meetings.
• Promote cooperative working environment among staff members; understand the value of teamwork; show enthusiasm.
• Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
• Maintain positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL OR OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• BS in accounting or related field.
• Minimum three years of broad financial and operations management experience. Supervisory experience preferred.
• Extensive experience with QuickBooks (or a similar accounting software).
• Work under the broad general administrative supervision of the Executive Director and to be able to use sound personal judgment in selecting methods, establishing priorities, and arriving at conclusions.
• Veterinary clinic database software experience a plus.
• Deal intelligibly, pleasantly, and efficiently, with tact and diplomacy, with clients on the telephone and in person, often doing several things at one time.
• Working knowledge of computer system and software and ability to learn and navigate new software and programs.
• Must maintain a valid driver's license.
MVH has a 90-day assessment period from the date of hire for employment in any position. This introductory period is the period during which the specifics of the job are learned and either the employee or MVH may end the employment relationship without notice or prejudice.