Development Review Coordinator
Botetourt County is currently accepting applications to fill the position of Development Review Coordinator.
As a team member of the Department of Community Development, plan, coordinate and implement development reviews from inquiry to inception to completion; to coordinate and provide technical and administrative services in support of development reviews, including but not limited to planning, engineering, emergency service and external agency reviews. This position is also responsible for processing major subdivision plats, erosion and sediment control and stormwater permits and provides administrative support to the Building Official, Subdivision Agent, and the County Engineer.
The incumbent will be a first contact for citizens, developers, engineers and builders regarding land use and development activities in the County.
If this sounds like you, APPLY HERE
The position will remain open until filled. Botetourt County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
• Do the right thing
• Promote the vision, mission and values of the County
• Serves as the main point of contact for developers, internal plan reviewers, and external reviewers (VDOT, WVWA, Health Department)
• Schedule and conduct Technical Review Committee meetings
• Schedule and conduct meetings for developers and plan reviewers
• Create, update, and maintain accurate records for submittals and all correspondence for commercial projects
• Create, update, and maintain accurate records for stormwater management and erosion and sediment control regulations
• Create, update, and maintain accurate records for all development and performance bonds
• Coordinate, manage and communicate review deadlines
• Provide administrative support to the Building Official, Subdivision Agent, County Engineer, and Director of Community Development
• Assists with property information requests, informs applicants about building processes, timelines, documents, and fees required to receive land use/development approvals and permits
• Assists customers with questions regarding permitting, and other development and land use-related processes, storm water management, erosion and sediment control, regulations, enforcement, applications, access and collect fees for related permits
• Accepts and forwards complaints/requests regarding building, zoning, erosion and sediment control, and stormwater management to appropriate personnel for investigation
• Processes applications and requests for the Community Development Department including Residential and Commercial Building Permits, Signs, Variances, Boundary Line Adjustments, Tents, Tanks, Demolitions, Certificates of Occupancy, and Land Disturbance Permits
• Adheres to and documents records retention and destruction requirements
• Assists customers in reviewing and submitting necessary documents for approvals provided by the Community Development Department, Virginia Health Department, Virginia Department of Transportation, Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation, and other local water and sewer service providers prior to the issuance of a Building and Zoning Permit
• General office duties include answering telephones, taking messages, scheduling appointments, typing, data entry, processing mail, greeting the public, care/maintenance of office and equipment, coordinating procurement with Purchasing, preparing, and organizing all handouts and forms, and ordering supplies.
• Maintains the department’s permitting database and generates reports as needed: daily, weekly, and/or monthly.
• Assists in the production and distribution of materials for various boards and commissions.
• Performs general clerical work including typing of correspondence and filing of maps, plans and associated documents
• Schedules meetings, appointments, and inspections; maintains accurate inspection documentation.
• Notarizes plats and other County related documents.
• Assists and supports the Planning Administrative Assistant as needed.
• Manages website content and provides news and updates as needed.
• Assumes leadership role in the development of upgrades to the policies for permitting, including software programming
• Assists the Building Official with educational and training events
• Job Requirements:
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent required
• Five (5) or more years customer service experience or administrative support experience involving clerical and/or information processing duties preferred
• Possession of an active Permit Technician Certification with ICC and VADHCD and ICC Permit Technician Specialist strongly preferred, or within 18 months of employment in this position, obtain certifications
• Within 24 months of employment in this position, obtain Certified Zoning Official (CZO) certification, or, Certified Planning Commissioner’s Program, or complete Residential & Commercial Building modules, and ESC Program Administrator
• Knowledge of and ability to apply the administrative provisions of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and Botetourt County Code
• Notary Public Commission from the Commonwealth of Virginia required within 12 months of employment
• Thorough knowledge of secretarial techniques, standard office methods and procedures
• Excellent oral and written communication and the ability to effectively interact with other employees and the public
• Ability to exercise good judgment in the application of policies and procedures
• Must possess the skills necessary to create and maintain neat and accurate electronic and hard copy records and files
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Excel
• Physical Demands/Special Work Environment:
• Picking, pinching, typing on a computer or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling
• Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers
• Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body
• Required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading and data input
• Worker must be able to remain at workstation in a stationary position for up to 50% of the time
• The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to attend meetings; access files, office machines; to interact with County employees
• The person in this position frequently communicates and exchanges information with co-workers, citizens, developers, engineers, and builders
• Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
Reports to: Development Services Manager
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Botetourt County provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.