POSITION TITLE: Database Administrator
DEPARTMENT: Computer Services
POSITION SUMMARY: Under general administrative direction, reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Database Administrator is responsible for all aspects of Bluefield State University’s Oracle databases and Ellucian Banner products, providing primary support at the software and hardware levels, performing analysis, generating reports, consultation, and maintenance support for Bluefield State University Campus.
POSITION CLASSIFICATION/COMPENSATION: This position is Nonclassified, Full-time, carries an Exempt status under the Fair Labor Standards Act, and serves at the will and pleasure of the President. Actual compensation will be commensurate with specific qualifications and experience related to the position. The position is dependent upon available funding.
- Responsible for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of the Banner Student Information System and the Oracle Database Systems along with other Database and Shared Application Systems used by the college. As related to these systems, this position will ensure adherence to established policies, procedures, and standards through established quality control procedures.
- Provide strategic planning and implementation services involving the research/design of Database and Shared Application Systems for the College. Maintain knowledge of current technologies through self-study, seminars, and relevant conferences, and consult with peers, vendors, and consultants regarding problems and emerging technologies. Establish policies, procedures, and standards for Database and Systems Development activities.
- Provide resolution for exceptional occurrences of Database and Shared Application Systems problems. Deal with escalated problems and provide for emergency problem escalation by coordinating College Administration, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and the public, vendors, and consultants.
- Provide Banner and other application system support and training to Faculty and Staff as needed. Develop applications, programs, and processes as needed to assist with data collection/retrieval needs.
- Assist with planning, operation, and troubleshooting of networks, servers, personal computers, application software, and system software as needed
- Analyze current application software programs and develop needed programs to meet the determined needs of Bluefield State University.
- Ability to meet the working hours of the position, which may include early morning, evening, and weekend hours.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution, preferably in Computer Science. Extensive knowledge of database management programming and analysis. Ability to analyze, debug, and solve complex system and database problems. Ability to prioritize tasks. Management, oral and written communication skills. At least one year of increasingly technical experience directly relevant to the job duties and responsibilities of this position. Significant experience in all aspects of information technology planning development and implementation, including but not limited to enterprise resource planning, systems, architecture, telecommunications, database administration, Web and social media development, and security and compliance issues.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Oracle, BANNER, and Linux experience is preferred.
THE UNIVERSITY: The mission of Bluefield State University is to provide students with an affordable, accessible opportunity for public higher education. A historically black institution, Bluefield State University prepares students for diverse professions, graduate study, informed citizenship, community involvement, and public service in an ever-changing global society. BSU welcomes all qualified candidates to apply. More information about the University is available at www.bluefieldstate.edu.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Completed applications are to be submitted in electronic format only to email@example.com and must include:
- Letter of interest specific to the position;
- A completed BSU Employment Application (form available at https://www.bluefieldstate.edu/resources/human-resources/jobs);
- Contact information for at least three professional references; and
- Transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the application process; official transcripts will be required of the selected candidate).
Please do not include photographs or any personal information (e.g. D.O.B, place of birth, etc.) on your application or supporting documents. Also, Bluefield State University does not provide H1B visa or employment sponsorship
DATE POSTED: September 8, 2023
CLOSING DATE: For full consideration, applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. EST, Monday, September 25, 2023. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, applications received after the deadline may not receive full consideration.
Bluefield State University is an HBCU, AA/EOE/ADA employer, committed to the principle that minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The university complies with all applicable federal and state laws designed to promote equal educational and employment opportunities. Bluefield State University does not provide an H1B visa or employment sponsorship.