Supervisor, Peer Support Specialist (STEP-VA)
Have you received treatment services for substance use and are looking for an opportunity to mentor others?
The Peer Recovery Specialist Supervisor functions as a peer recovery specialist who also provides peer level coaching and support to other Peer Recovery Specialists (PRS) across the agency. Peer coaching and support will include offering group or individual education, clinical peer supervision, and consultation across the agency. The recovery topics addressed will those commonly found important for PRSs, such as how to maintain appropriate boundaries as a peer. Will support training and services and practices that ultimately will result in the ability for BRBH to utilize and bill for PRS services.
This position will work with clients and peers with Mental Health, Substance Use, and/or Co-Occurring disorders under the supervision of a Licensed Mental Health Professional. This position will also provide direct peer services to clients through utilizing expertise about the recovery process, symptom management, and the persistence required by clients to have a satisfying life. Will collaborate to promote a team culture that recognizes, understands and respects each client's point of view, experiences, and preferences. Will act as a liaison with other BRBH programs and community resources concerning the topic of peer support. This position will assist with warm hand-offs for clients being referred to outside community resources when needed, such as for medication assisted treatment or other services, and will complete Government Performance and Results
1. Knowledge & Skills:
Peer Recovery Specialist Supervisor must have, at a minimum, qualifications that are documented or observable to include knowledge of:
- Has personally experienced a substance use disorder or mental health disorder.
- Is or has been a recipient of mental health or substance related disorder services, and has acquired and uses the skills for chronic disease management and is willing to share their journey in recovery with clients.
- Communication skills (oral and written) and basic computer usage.
- Knowledge of mental health and/or substance related disorders, trauma-informed approaches to services, and community resource preferred.
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work with persons with severe and persistent mental illness and ability to establish supportive trusting relationships.
2. Education: High school diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree a plus!
3. Driver's License: This position requires driving agency vehicles and transporting clients. Unrestricted Virginia Driver's license and a good driving record, which means no more than two moving violations (speeding, etc) in the last three years and no criminal violations (DUI, reckless driving) in the last five years.
4. Licensure: Completed certification program as a Peer Recovery Specialist a plus! QMHP a plus! Required to complete Certified Peer Support Specialist training within 12 months from hire, and register with the Board of Counseling within 15 months. Required to complete DBHDS Peer Recovery Specialist Supervisor training.
Why work at BRBH?
Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare (BRBH) is one of forty Community Services Boards established under the Code of Virginia to provide comprehensive services for individuals who have mental health disorders, developmental disability, or substance use disorders. BRBH provides multiple programs and services throughout the Roanoke Valley with over 400 employees working to provide quality care to our clients. We are proud to have served our community for over 50 years. BRBH maintains a drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. This position is located in Roanoke, VA.
- Time spent working with people in recovery: In this job you spend the majority of your day providing peer counseling.
- Great co-workers: Our staff work hard and support each other in a team atmosphere.
- Work/Life Balance: We have a great Paid Time Off policy - 29 days annually, which starts accruing on your first day.
- We offer great benefits, including VRS (Virginia Retirement System)! Click here for more information: http://www.brbh.org/benefits/
- Want to know more? Check out our Employment page to see employee reviews and more information about BRBH: http://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Blue-Ridge-Behavioral-Healthcare-EI_IE464369.11,43.htm