Peer Specialist, Project LINK
Have you received services for substance use and are looking for an opportunity to mentor women in recovery? Project LINK provides intensive case management and home visiting services to pregnant and parenting women who are at-risk or are currently abusing substances.
Recovery Coaches are people living in recovery from substance use and who provide support to others whom can benefit from their lived experiences. No experience necessary! The Recovery Coach functions as a fully integrated member of the team to provide expertise about the recovery process, symptom management, and the persistence required by clients to have a satisfying life.
This position pays $14.00/hour and is full time with benefits. This position is grant-funded.
Recovery Peer Coaches work in a trauma-informed, team culture that recognizes, understands and respects each client's point of view, experiences, and preferences. The peer specialist is responsible for maximizing client choice, self-determination and decision-making for services. They provide peer counseling to clients, families and team staff; act as a liaison with other BRBH programs and community resources; assist in education, and provide crisis intervention under the clinical supervision of staff.
1. Personal Experience: Applicants must be currently or have been a recipient of substance use treatment services with good self-knowledge to manage their recovery. Please include information in your application explaining your interest in the position.
2. Received Services: Is or has been a recipient of substance use treatment services, and has acquired and uses the skills for recovery management.
3. Skills & Abilities: Skills in verbal and written communication and basic computer usage. Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills, ability to work with persons with severe and persistent mental illness and ability to establish supportive trusting relationships.
4. Cultural Competency: Possess ability to recognize and adjust practice and services to cultural and ethnic differences.
5. Education: High school diploma or G.E.D.
6. Background Check: Virginia has restrictions on hiring individuals with certain convictions. Here is the list: http://www.dbhds.virginia.gov/assets/document-library/BIU/attachment-2rev072017.pdf
7. Safe Driving Record: Candidates must have a valid Virginia driver's license with a safe driving record (no more than two moving violations in the last three years and no criminal violations in the last five years).
Why work at BRBH?
- Making a difference: This role supports women and families directly. Project LINK is an interagency, trauma-informed, community-based collaborative program designed to coordinate and enhance existing services to help meet the extensive and multiple needs of women and their children whose lives have been affected by substance use.
- Great co-workers: Our staff work hard and support each other in a team atmosphere.
- Full Time, Day schedule: This office is open Monday - Friday, day shift. This position is Full Time, 40 hours/week, with benefits.
- Work/Life Balance: BRBH has a great PTO policy - 29 days annually, which starts accruing on your first day.
- We offer great benefits, including VRS (Virginia Retirement System)! Click here for more information: http://www.brbh.org/benefits/
- Want to know more? Check out our page on Glassdoor to see employee reviews and more information about BRBH: http://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Blue-Ridge-Behavioral-Healthcare-EI_IE464369.11,43.htm
Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare (BRBH) is one of forty Community Services Boards established under the Code of Virginia to provide comprehensive services for individuals who have mental health disorders, developmental disability, or substance use disorders. BRBH provides multiple programs and services throughout the Roanoke Valley with over 400 employees working to provide quality care to our clients. We are proud to have served our community for over 50 years. BRBH maintains a drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. This position is located in Roanoke, VA.
Categories: Human Services/ Social Work/ Sociology/ Psychology/ Non-Profit/ Healthcare/ Social Services/ Peer Specialist
BRBH follows CMS (Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services) guidelines, which require, if hired, proof of COVID-19 vaccination, or an approved medical or religious exemption.