Peer Recovery Specialist (PSH)
Have you received mental health services and are looking for an opportunity to mentor others? Peer Support Specialists are people living in recovery with mental illness and who provide support to others whom can benefit from their lived experiences. No experience necessary. The peer support specialist functions as a fully integrated member of the team to provide expertise about the recovery process, symptom management, and the persistence required by clients to have a satisfying life.
What We Are Looking For
A successful candidate will have experienced a mental illness, including participation with their treatment plan for the last 12 months. They will be passionate about the need for individuals with mental illness to have access to stable housing. They will be motivated to learn and be able to recognize and adapt practices to cultural and ethnic differences.
What You Will Do
A typical week usually consists of peer counseling and consultation for clients, as part of a team culture that recognizes, understands, and respects each client's point of view, experiences, and preferences. The peer specialist is responsible for maximizing client choice, self-determination and decision-making in the planning, delivery, and evaluation of treatment, rehabilitation and support services.
Entry Level Pay: $18.00/hour. Additional compensation with certification and registration.
- Personal Experience: A successful candidate is or has been a recipient of mental health services for severe and persistent mental illness with good self-knowledge to manage their mental illness.
- Skills & Abilities: Skills in verbal and written communication and basic computer usage. Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills, ability to work with persons with severe and persistent mental illness and ability to establish supportive trusting relationships.
- Cultural Competency: Possess ability to recognize and adjust practice and services to cultural and ethnic differences.
- Education: High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Safe driving record: This position requires transporting clients and driving agency vehicles. Candidates must have a good driving record, which is defined as no more than two moving violations in the last three years and no criminal moving violations in the last five years.
- Background Check: Virginia has restrictions on hiring individuals with certain convictions. Here is the list: http://www.dbhds.virginia.gov/assets/doc/hr/biu/attachment-2rev072019.pdf
Why work at BRBH?
- Spend time working with individuals: Permanent Supportive Housing is a new initiative with a goal of reducing the frequency of unnecessary hospital visits by reinforcing housing stability and overall wellness for individuals with mental illness. In this job, each day, you make a difference by assisting individuals to live independently in the community.
- Great co-workers: Our staff work hard and support each other in a team atmosphere.
- Full Time, Day schedule: This office is open Monday - Friday, day shift. This position is Full Time, 40 hours/week, with benefits.
- Work/Life Balance: BRBH has a great PTO policy - 29 days annually, which starts accruing on your first day.
- We offer great benefits, including VRS (Virginia Retirement System)! Click here for more information: http://www.brbh.org/benefits/
- Want to know more? Check out our page on Glassdoor to see employee reviews and more information about BRBH: http://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Blue-Ridge-Behavioral-Healthcare-EI_IE464369.11,43.htm
Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare (BRBH) is one of forty Community Services Boards established under the Code of Virginia to provide comprehensive services for individuals who have mental health disorders, intellectual disability, or substance use disorders. We are charged also with continuously monitoring and evaluating our services to ensure their cost effectiveness and applicability to current citizen needs. BRBH operates multiple programs throughout the Roanoke Valley with over 400 employees working to provide or support our services. We are proud to have served our community for over 50 years. Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare maintains a drug-free workplace and equal opportunity employment. This position is located in Roanoke, VA.