Medical Records Technician
We are seeking a Medical Records Technician to help manage documentation in clients' electronic health records. The person in this position will also be responsible for processing requests to release protected health information for all programs at BRBH in a HIPAA and 42 CFR part 2 compliant manner.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Accurately scanning, titling, and attaching documents to clients' electronic health records
- Preparing records for destruction based on records retention policy guidelines
- Assisting staff with accessing client information that may not be available in current electronic health record
- Educating and corresponding with clients, lawyers, insurance companies, and other outside agencies regarding BRBH's process for HIPAA and 42 CFR part 2 compliant release procedure
- Providing quality assurance reports to clinical staff/managers of deficiencies in documentation
- Maintaining working knowledge of HIPAA and other privacy laws to assure appropriate procedures are being followed
- Filling requests for records received from both clients and other 3rd party entities
What we are looking for: The ideal candidate will have excellent judgment, excellent time management skills, is detail oriented, and is able to learn and apply a variety of laws and regulations to a variety of situations. Successful candidates will have well developed written and verbal communication skills, excellent problem solving skills, and will be motivated to make sure things are done correctly and contribute well in a small, high performing team.
Entry Level Pay: $17.67. Additional compensation commensurate with experience.
- Education: High School Diploma or GED required. Associate Degree in Health Information or Medical Record Technology a plus!
- Experience: Minimum of two (2) years' experience in medical records or other office environment
- Background: Candidates who are offered a position are required to undergo a background check and drug screen.
Why work at BRBH?
- Compliance Minded: As an agency, BRBH is compliance-minded - we seek out employees who want to do things the right way.
- Making a difference: This position supports agency staff as well as clients, and corresponds with outside collaterals, which is critical for the work that we do. In serving our clients, each day BRBH makes a difference in our community.
- Great co-workers: Our staff work hard and support each other in a small, high-performing team.
- Day schedule: The schedule is Monday - Friday, day shift.
- Work/Life Balance: We have a great Paid Time Off policy - 29 days annually, which starts accruing on your first day.
- We offer great benefits, including VRS (Virginia Retirement System)! Click here for more information: http://www.brbh.org/benefits/
- Want to know more? Check out our page on Glassdoor to see employee reviews and more information about BRBH: http://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Blue-Ridge-Behavioral-Healthcare-EI_IE464369.11,43.htm
Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare (BRBH) is one of forty Community Services Boards established under the Code of Virginia to provide comprehensive services for individuals who have mental health disorders, developmental disability, or substance use disorders. We are charged also with continuously monitoring and evaluating our services to ensure their cost effectiveness and applicability to current citizen needs. BRBH operates multiple programs throughout the Roanoke Valley with over 400 employees working to provide or support our services. We are proud to have served our community for over 50 years. Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare maintains a drug-free workplace and equal opportunity employment. This position is located in Roanoke, VA.
Categories: Human Services/ Social Work/ Sociology/ Psychology/ Non-Profit/ Healthcare/ Social Services/ Medical Records