Homeless Outreach Specialist
BRBH is looking for a Homeless Outreach Specialist to identify individuals with a serious mental illness who are homeless, build rapport with those individuals, and provide outreach and assessment!
This position is unique! The Homeless Outreach Specialist engages individuals in services, such as community mental health, alcohol or drug treatment, housing, primary health services, and other resources. This includes traveling to homeless shelters, local parks, and other areas frequented by individuals who are homeless, in order to provide outreach services. Candidates must be good at building relationships and rapport because homeless individuals may be untrusting and resistant to services.
Additional Duties Include:
- Assisting individuals in finding housing and medical/psychiatric care, completes applications for Social Security Benefits using the SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR) model, and represents BRBH in community workgroups addressing issues that impact the homeless population in the Roanoke Area.
- Serving as point of contact for the Council of Community Services and Roanoke City Homeless Assistance Team and participates in By Name List meetings to monitor homeless individuals in the community and collaborate to meet needs.
- Overseeing PATH funding that serves homeless individuals, reviews requests, and determines eligibility. This position is funded by the Projects Assisting in the Transition from Homelessness (PATH) grant.
The schedule for this position is Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm.
1. Education: Bachelor's degree that meets requirements to register for QMHP.
2. Experience: Minimum of one (1) year experience working with individuals diagnosed with serious mental illness, or diagnosed with substance use disorder, or who have experienced chronic homelessness.
3. Licensure/Certifications: Qualified Mental Health Professional-Adult (QMHP-A) preferred
4. Safe Driving Record: This position requires being able to transport clients in agency vehicles. Safe driving record required (no more than two moving violations in the last three years, no criminal violations in the last five years).
5. Background Check: Candidates who are offered a position are required to undergo a background check and drug screen.
Why work at BRBH?
- Working with clients: This position works on the front lines to support and engage individuals who have a serious mental illness and are homeless.
- Values: At BRBH, we believe that the people we serve are our first priority and our employees are our most valuable resource. Come join our team!
- Work/Life Balance: We have a great paid time off policy - 29 days annually, which starts accruing on your first day.
- We offer great benefits, including VRS (Virginia Retirement System)! Click here for more information: http://www.brbh.org/benefits/
- Want to know more? Check out our page on Glassdoor to see employee reviews and more information about BRBH: http://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Blue-Ridge-Behavioral-Healthcare-EI_IE464369.11,43.htm
Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare (BRBH) is one of forty Community Services Boards established under the Code of Virginia to provide comprehensive services for individuals who have mental health disorders, developmental disability, or substance use disorders. BRBH provides multiple programs and services throughout the Roanoke Valley with over 400 employees working to provide quality care to our clients. We are proud to have served our community for over 50 years. BRBH maintains a drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. This position is located in Roanoke, VA.
Categories: Human Services/ Social Work/ Sociology/ Psychology/ Non-Profit/ Healthcare/ Social Services/ Counseling/ BSW/ QMHP
follows CMS (Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services) guidelines, which
require, if hired, proof of COVID-19 vaccination, or an approved medical or